Thursday, December 6, 2007

Mini-golf parking lot, 11:25 p.m. – My creepy vibe, let me show you it!

There is a seriously skeezy vibe going around town tonight. My friend and I were going to sit on the patio at Sonic and enjoy the cool air, but the hood rat Mafia gangs made me fear that if I let loose a spare shekel they’d grab it – much less my bejeweled laptop.

I drove over to the movie theater – and the place was like a ghost town – except for the random acts of domestic violence in the parking lot. I swear to Kali I saw some people having a throw down out side of a silver Jeep Liberty.

I wanted to watch because it really looked like a ghetto heifer in a silver mini-dress and some hooker heels was about to give her man a “what for.” I reconsidered when I factored in the fact there a) might be a random act of gunfire and b) might be police, which would necessitate witness statements.

I tried the parking lot of the 7-Eleven – and it looked like I interrupted a drug deal when I pulled in. The parking lot of the mini-golf place next door has a decrepit mobile home parked in it and all the overhead lot lights are out.

I’m sitting in my locked car and I’m prepared to drive right over anyone who comes within thirty feet of me.

Great. Now there’s a random bum stumbling through the 7-Eleven parking lot and toward the highway. Please Kali smile upon this lost soul and guide the cars away from him. Unless it is his time to die. In that case, people pancake. Extra syrup for the buzzards on table 4.

There is something vaguely dirge-like playing on NPR. How appropriate. In retrospect, I should not have picked a tree to park under. If by chance a branch falls on the roof, I think I just might have a coronary.

I never realized there was so much action in town as we approach the midnight hour. The 7-Eleven is doing a land-office business.

There’s a TV news crew and a satellite uplink truck here. They’re getting gas. The nearest TV station is more than 40 miles away – in the next county – and there aren’t even bureaus here. I REALLY want to know what the heck is going on tonight.

I check my mirrors more often than a student driver. Please Shiva let me survive the night.

Oh. The TV correspondent is cute. Short (like all TV people) dark and handsome. Hi Mr. Anchorman. Can I play with your TelePrompter?

Random people on bikes are now approaching. Don’t they know they need to go home? I wonder if they have a home to go to. And they’re stopping. I don’t for one second believe that they actually have a flat tire.

I will not be easy pickings. One SUV vs. three bikes. Who’s going to win this fight? Think about it. Think about it. That’s right. Leave.

I think they’re gone, but I’m not certain. The doors are locked. There are parking barriers in front of me, but this is a Jeep. It has high clearance. I’ve hit every curb in two counties and lived to tell the tale.

Screechy violin music is playing on NPR now. Not cute. Not cute for one second.

I seriously need to write a letter to someone about the lack of parking lot lights here. This is a civic disgrace.

Moreover, there is a DISTINCT lack of amenities in town for people who revel in the post-midnight hour. There are two IHOPS, more Wal-Marts than anyone wants to care about and a greasy spoon diner that even the rats avoid. All the coffee shops and bookstores close at 11 p.m. I wonder if I could start sneaking into hotels or hospitals?

Does anyone have suggestions for safe public spaces in the late hours of the night?

The 7-Eleven is empty now. I wonder if the rabble has to be home before midnight – like Cinderella – or else they turn into cigarette butts, empty soda cans and used condoms?

There’s a cop car rolling in; the police are on the prowl. It is an out-of-town cop car no less. Something is DEFINITELY up tonight. I wonder if I should go try and flirt with the cop? No. Police are not worth the time or effort – except for that one cute downtown cop.

It is December and there is green grass everywhere. There are green bushes, palm trees and shrubs all over. It is December and the grass is green. Sometimes, I forget that I live in Florida and stuff like this IS NOT NORMAL for most of the people in the country.

OK. I’ve hit the twenty-one minute mark and probably gotten a pretty good cardiovascular workout in the bargain. Disengage panic mode and try to calm down enough for bed.

Peace out.

8 comments:

Ol' Lady said...

Holy shit!!!
You got more goin on in the parking lot of a 7-eleven in 21 minutes than the closest city (does a pop. of 53,000 count as a city?) to me has happening in a month or more.
I don't know how you can live in an area like that???

ViperBorg said...

Hotels. They'll let you camp in the lobby for about 30 minutes before they start to complain. If they get whiny, I just say I'm waiting for a hotel guest to come and meet me. If they ask who, just say it's none of their business. Works well for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Eeeek!!! Okay, I can live without late-night 21 minutes entries, can't live without 21 minutes. So random unsolicited request from reader: Please please, be safe! And no, I don't know any public spaces that I think are safe that late, anywhere. There's millenia-old reasons most folks are scared of the dark!!!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Anon: Please be safe. The places that are open that late aren't the most safest. Many are seedy diners, tattoo shops & motels. I can't do without 21 Min, so you're gonna need to stay alive lol.

Anonymous said...

Plus ten points for use of the meme in your title.

I would think one of them thar IHOP's would contain some pretty good fodder for a post on a weekend evening.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with fnc. IHOP sees all kinds of strange stuff late at night, and usually during the day for that matter. Stay safe.

Larry Kollar said...

Does anyone have suggestions for safe public spaces in the late hours of the night?

Um… WalMart?

You knew someone was going to say it!

Anonymous said...

Ask for a mids-watch ride along with your local PD...you'll see all kinds of human vermin, freaks, etc. It's quite entertaining. I did one in my "quaint" burb of chicago. The world can really change after 11PM.