Sunday, November 25, 2007

Greek restaurant, 7:14 p.m. – Tourists, hummus and Serbian pop do not a pleasant evening make

Who knew that Greek, I asked SERBIAN, pop music could have such a thumping beat?

I’ve already accomplished one of the things I wanted to when I started “21 Minutes” – and that was to get out more and be exposed to different things. I think Serbian pop certainly counts in that regard.

If you’re looking for some thumping beats – check out Lepa Brena – maybe not for everyone, but definitely for me!

There are only two waiters and one cook in the restaurant tonight – and the waiters have the sounds system BANGING. It is like a disco up in here. Apparently the audible wants and needs of the customers are secondary. I love a good café.

There is a family over to my immediate right. They are the ultimate modern American nuclear family on vacation – and they have no business being in a Greek restaurant. None. None at all.


I saw the waiter roll his eyes at least three times while trying to take their drink order. Please do not be trying to sample of the ethnic food if you do not be liking of the different spices.

They ordered four waters, mulled the menu for ten minutes, then ordered the house red (for him) and house white (for her). The daughter is apparently picky and has to have a cheese pizza – but only with white cheese. The boy wants chicken – but not a chicken pita – because hummus is not acceptable. Hmm. Did they not notice that this was a GREEK restaurant? The final order has lots of “on the sides” and “withouts.” It is a comedy of errors.

The décor in here is “interesting” – to say the least. It leans very heavily on the romanticized view of Greek mythology made popular by storytellers and fables and with a full measure of sensuality.

Right now, I’m staring at a full-breasted Medusa clad only in her crown of snakes. She could definitely use a visit to a Victoria’s Secret. There are even the suggestions of nipples painted on there.

On the back wall, there’s a six-foot-wide version of a winged Icarus in flight – clad only in a codpiece (I’ve waited YEARS to use that in an entry). I wonder if the ancient Greeks had such “defined” six-packs?

Personally, I love the décor and the slightly snotty waiters (the service is always uniformly haughty here, no matter which vampiric Greek you get) – rather annoying at first, especially as someone who wants good service, but it does eventually add to the charm once they get to know you.

Heh. The wife of the vacationing family was so busy yelling at her daughter about not playing her Nintendo DS at the table that she nearly leaned right into a full plate of food. Logic, my dear fishwife. You see the waiter coming. Shut up and be still so that he may put the hot plates down!


No one at that table likes their food. They are taking tiny bites and nibbling the pita bread and picking around the peppers. I would feel sorry for them, but it is VERY obvious this is a Greek restaurant. Moreover, they are the very stereotype of the Ugly American Tourist. And they're not even in another country.

The table in front of me has read the Sunday New York Times – cover to cover – over three courses – salad, appetizer and entrée. I’m only shocked they didn’t order dessert. This place makes baklava like nobody’s business. Sinfully delicious.

The Serbian pop is still thrumming out over the airwaves. I can only imagine the party once the customers leave.

On that note, I’m out.

5 comments:

Larry Kollar said...

A good Greek place is one of the highlights of a trip to west coast Florida, no? Have you ever been to Pappas in Tarpon Springs?

Baklava. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your new blog is boring. I'm unsubscribing. I liked your old blog so much I used to click on the ads just for fun. Didn't you know a lot of people were reading only because of your clever viewpoint of CUSTOMERS you had to deal with? There are thousands of other blogs just like this one: person sits around, looks at stuff happening, tries to be funny and sarcastic and clever.

Anonymous said...

Was there no Denny's or mall food court nearby for this family?

I enjoy your new blog, BTW.

Anonymous said...

I'm a great fan of Greek food, but the all Greek places I came across had terrible hummus, if any at all.

Another thing: I know many Greek places in America serve hummus, but a friend who just came back from Greece told me he looked for hummus for days until he realised nobody there knew what it is.

Anonymous said...

lol, reminds me of an evening spent recently at my favorite Egyptian restaurant. Guy takes cash and checks. No cards. Hubby and I were very amused by the neophytes in the next booth. They apparently ordered the pair he always suggests for new folks, the sampler and the Greek salad ("hiiiighly I recommmmmend it!" he trills) and they picked all over it, THEN they ordered the special then proceeded to bitch to each other in lowered voices how long they were having to wait (apparently they had a hot party at Chuck E Cheese to get to afterwards) and then when they got that round of food, they barely at it at all. Idiots.